Certified Master Resume Writer
The resume industry's oldest and most prestigious Master-level resume credential.
There are actors...and then there is Robert DeNiro. There are cars...and then there is the Rolls-Royce. There are rock ‘n roll bands...and then there are The Rolling Stones.
There are resume writers...and then there are Certified Master Resume Writers.
Becoming a CMRW means that you are among the very best of the best. That you are a star in the resume writing industry.
As one of a select group of elite resume writers, your portfolio of work stands out for its innovation, for the advanced formatting that grasps the attention of the reader, and in the superior command of the language that makes every bullet point an unfolding story—a revelation for the reader and a triumph for your clients.
Certified Master Resume Writers have proven themselves by submitting a portfolio of work that has been judged by a panel of CMRW peers. Professionals who themselves are TORI Award Winners and worldwide leaders of the industry.
Clients looking for proven talents are looking for you. Executives, Consultants, Entrepreneurs and industry gurus aren’t looking for a standard resume. They are looking for a professional to create value propositions and to establish the vision. A professional who has business savvy, possesses a superior way with words, and can build a compelling case for hiring in a dog-eat-dog world.
Is that professional you? See what you can do to stamp your mark on the world. Become one of CDI’s elite writers here.
How the CMRW Process Works
To apply and qualify for the CMRW, you must meet the following credentialing requirement:
You must have already earned a recognized resume certification (e.g., CARW, MRW, NCRW, CPRW, CMRS, CRS, MCRS, ACRW).
You must submit the following materials for consideration:
1. Choose one of the following:
- Essay of no less than 1000 words on your philosophy and approach to resume writing, and why you feel you are a qualified candidate to be awarded the CMRW credential. <or>
- Article of no less than 1000 words on a topic about or relating to resume writing that demonstrates your knowledge and expertise.
2. Seven (7) professional resumes, one (1) ATS-friendly resume and two (2) cover letter samples along with a brief description for each one of (a) the project situation / challenge, (b) explanation of choices for document style and information inclusion and (c) job seeker results (if known). Preferred topics include*:
- Executive Resume
- Career Change Resume
- New Graduate Resume
- Technical Resume (e.g., engineer, scientist, technician, IT pro)
- Professional Resume (e.g., manager, director, physician, account exec.)
- Re-Entry into the Workforce Resume
- Resume of Your Choice
- ATS-friendly Resume of Your Choice
- Cover Letters (2) of Your Choice
* Substitutions may be acceptable upon approval. Please contact us at email@example.com to evaluate your situation.
Upon registration, you will receive a copy of CDI's Resume Writing Guide, a $39.95 value.
Pay the credential registration fee of $297.00 (register below).
Instructions will then be sent to you on preparing your submission via email.
Application Review Process
Upon receipt, your application materials will be submitted blind to members of the certification committee for review, analysis, and approval.
What the committee looks for in terms of big-picture criteria in blind review of portfolio samples:
- Equal Strengths in Multiple Disciplines: The writer exhibits strengths in writing for all diverse disciplines in the portfolio.
- Contextual Narrative: Experience and achievements are placed in context to tell a story, not just provide a result.
- Branding Elements: Documents “humanize” the client by providing elements unique to the individual’s personal brand.
- Strategy: Documents show that strategic thought has been taken in positioning information for optimum impact.
- Advanced Visual Appeal: The document stands out due to its elegant or contemporary formatting (Industry specific).
This review and evaluation period is 4-6 weeks upon which you will be notified of the final status of your application. Portfolios not meeting the standards of the CMRW credential will be counseled on an individual basis to determine appropriate steps for remediation.
Should more than one additional submission (recognized as a second portfolio) be required to fulfill the needs of the CMRW credentialing process, an added processing fee of $95 will be applied.
Upon committee approval you will be conferred and awarded the CMRW designation, which will include use of the logo for print and web, sample press release and certificate.
The CMRW process allow you to take as long as you need within one calendar year of registration. However, it should take a very short amount of time to gather together most of the required elements as it is primarily an administrative record-keeping process. Please be advised that you must maintain an active CDI membership to complete this certification.
Sample CMRW-Level Resume and Portfolio Documents
- Executive Resume by Erin Kennedy at www.exclusive-executive-resumes.com
- Career Change Resume by August Cohen at www.gethiredstayhired.com
- Career Change Resume by Susan Guarneri at www.Resume-Magic.com
- New Graduate Resume by Barb Poole at www.hireimaging.com
- New Graduate Resume by Susan Guarneri at www.Resume-Magic.com
- Sales & Marketing Resume by Gayle Howard at www.topmargin.com
- Technical Resume by Gayle Howard at www.topmargin.com
- Professional Resume by Gayle Howard at www.topmargin.com
- Cover Letter by Susan Guarneri at www.Resume-Magic.com
- Cover Letter by August Cohen at www.gethiredstayhired.com
- Article by Susan Guarneri at www.Resume-Magic.com
Feedback from CMRW Certified Writers
Get on the fast track to certification now and start learning what the top professionals know while nurturing your talents, boosting your confidence, and securing your place among the industry leaders.
Sign up below to begin learning the insider secrets and wisdom from a guru with 22 years at the top of the profession.
PS…to ensure you get personalized, quality coaching, we limit the number of clients we coach at any one time. Once the limit is reached, new clients are placed on a waiting list until we have space available. We will notate here if there is a current waiting list.
Sign up now to start on your journey to certification and more satisfied clients.
*Not a Member of CDI? Membership is a prerequisite.
Non-member registration includes one year of individual membership ($347 value) to Career Directors International: Your Pathway to Success, rich with ongoing support, networking, and new information.
If you are not currently a CDI member, please select the Non-Member rate below as it includes mandatory membership. For more information on membership or to select monthly membership instead, visit the Member Benefits page.
In order to demonstrate your commitment to staying abreast of industry changes, the CMRW credential must be renewed every three years for a fee of $75.00. For consideration you must submit:
- Four sample resumes of your choice
- One cover letter sample of your choice.
Update requirements and active membership are a prerequisite of retaining the CMRW credential. CDI reserves the right to revoke this credential if these requirements are not met and maintained.
Why is renewal necessary? Because the craft of resume writing is dynamic and is swiftly changing with the advances in computer technology and applicant tracking / scanning as well as emerging legal issues involving resume fraud. These are just a few concerns that make it necessary for professionals to demonstrate ongoing education and knowledge of modern resume writing techniques.
The Certification Committee
The CMRW credentialing program was restructured under the guidance of the CDI's highly-talented, global Certification Committee. Hand-picked to represent the best-of-the-best of the industry and its various resume certification procedures, the committee's members include:
Certification Chair: Gayle Howard, CERM, CMRW, MRWLAA, MCD, MCPLAA, MRW, CPRW, CCM, BIC, HRCC, CWPP, CARW - Top Margin Resumes Online, Melbourne, Australia
Patricia Duckers, CMRW, CPRW, CEIP, CWPP, CFRW, CFRWC, MFCC, MFCC/T, MMRW - CareerPro Global, Inc., Edison, New Jersey
Barb Poole, CERM, CMRW, CARW, CCMC, CPRW, PHR, BS - Hire Imaging, Maple Grove, Minnesota
Gillian "Jill" Kelly, CERM, CMRW, MRWLAA, CARW, ATSC - Career Edge, Queensland, Australia
Erin Kennedy, CERM, CMRW, CPRW - Professional Resume Services, Lapeer, Michigan
Darlene Dassy, CERM, CMRW, CARW - Dynamic Resume Solutions, Sinking Springs, Pennsylvania
Jacqui Barrett-Poindexter, CERM, CMRW, MRW, CPRW, CEIP - CareerTrend, Gordonville, Texas
Michelle Lopez, CMRW, CRS+AF, CRS+ME, CARW - One2One Resumes, Western Australia
Dawn S. Bugni, CMRW, MRW, CPRW - The Write Solution, Atkinson, North Carolina
Carolyn Whitfield, CMRW, CERM, CARW, CEIC, CP-OJSRM - Total Resumes, Tasmania, Australia
Scott Nichols, MBA, CERM, CGRA, CPRW, CEIC, CEIP - Advanced Method Resumes & Career Services, Granite Bay, California
All requirements of CMRW certification, renewal, and CDI membership standards must be maintained in order to earn or retain a CDI credential. CDI reserves the right to revoke a CMRW credential for any of the following: Renewal requirements are not maintained and completed within required timelines. Membership lapses due to non-renewal. Individual is found guilty in a court of law for a grievance within the industry (unprofessional, unethical, unlawful conduct and/or business practices).
For more information on the CMRW credential contact CDI at firstname.lastname@example.org.