Among professional resume writers, there are very polarized views about graphic design in resume writing. The reasoning of not being able to make them ATS-friendly is now a thing of the past, but even so, they still have been proven to garner outstanding results as networking resumes. However, if you are not even dipping your toe into the realm of adding design to your resumes, it’s critical to understand that all around you the world is hungrily consuming visual content in the form of video, memes, images, infographics, and ads.
The truth is that resume writing won’t be left behind in this equation of visual content consumption.
We are edging into an era where resumes that offer more than black and white text are becoming the norm, especially with the rise of younger and younger recruiters and HR professionals who were raised on full-color technology. Here are a few stats to consider:
- 65% of people are visual learners, according to the Social Science Research Network.
- Visuals are processed 60,000 times faster than text, according to research by 3M.
- Text with graphic images gets 94% more views, according to research by QuickSprout.
- 64% of surveyed recruiters wanted at least a splash of color or more graphically-enhanced resumes in a survey by Marie Plett at AspirationsResume.
- Recruiters are getting younger, as Marie’s survey also found that 50% responding to her survey were Millennials and even some Gen Z.
So how can we begin to embrace MS Word and it’s ability to help us infuse our resumes with a touch of design?
In this 48 minute video lesson, award-winning resume writer, Skye Berry of Skye is the Limit Resume & Career Solutions, shares how:
- Impostor Syndrome might be standing in our way of visual storytelling.
- Everyone sees the result of our efforts, but no one sees the sacrifice.
- ATS is only 20% of the job search success puzzle.
- We need to become visionary not stationary.
- She uses MS Word to create stand-out, original images.
Skye Berry is a Certified Graphic Resume Architect and Certified Master Resume Writer who started her professional career in 2007 and founded her business, Skye Is The Limit in 2011.
A multi-award winning and TORI-nominated resume writer and career coach, Skye is passionate about helping people find creative ways to stand out, tap the hidden job market, and shine like the superstars they are!
Free to members
Not yet a member?
CDI offers both monthly and yearly membership. Due to COVID-19 we are offering specials on both monthly and annual new membership during May. Use these coupon codes at checkout:
- Monthly membership: First month 50% off join rate ($48.50). USE CODE CDIHALF
- Annual membership: First year at $120 off ($227). USE CODE RISE20