Career Directors International Tie-in
As the official resume writing course of Career Directors International, this e-course provides participants with a shortcut to CARW certification. Upon the successful completion of this training course with a gold pass, you will be granted your credential.
Through a series of incremental modules, this e-course aims to clear the path for you to represent your client—whether he or she is technically inclined, a new graduate or a top executive. It will underscore advice with reasoned logic and will be reviewed for quality, marketability, and consistency. Yes, the responsibility of such an endeavor can be overwhelming and of course, a client’s resume is just one spoke in the job search wheel. There are many things outside your control; your client’s talents must match the requirements of the position, his or her demeanour at interview plays a large part and the influence of the economy on the job market cannot be dismissed. However the power of that initial resume document should never be underestimated, for it is the thrust of those words that paint a picture and solidify your client in the reader’s mind. If that picture is unclear, muddied by an unbalanced presentation of the candidate’s job chronology, ridden with clichés, or filled with jargon and acronyms that confuse the reader, then that document is actively sabotaging the client’s prospects. Resume writing is a noble profession that helps your clients realize their potential. By refining your craft, we all benefit.
This course is directed towards professional resume writers keen to enrich the quality of their practice and service towards their clients. Pre-requisites are simply a desire to improve and an understanding of resume fundamentals. The e-course is self-paced and allows each participant the opportunity to absorb information and respond within the confines of existing jobs, projects and lifestyle. Each module has been created to take in a specified order, much like the layout of a resume.
At the conclusion of this e-course participants will:
- Have a greater understanding of the construction of resume content that defines achievements, and sets the scene to achieve clients’ goals
- Have a greater understanding of the construction of resume content that defines achievements, and sets the scene to achieve clients’ goals.
- Produce a high-impact resume for clients devoid of clichés and fluff.
- Develop resume layouts that are clean, uncluttered, consistent and attractive.
- Elevate the potential of achieving resume writing certification with one of the official resume writing associations by demonstrating an unequivocal command of the resume writing process.
Each module when completed and passed will prepare you for the next module. Participants can devote any amount of time necessary to complete each module subject to their lifestyles and work pressures.
- The “Rules” of Resume Writing. Discusses the myths and realities — much is said about resumes most of which has no basis in fact. Learn to sweep out the clutter of misconceptions and move forward. A quiz will follow that will test comprehension.
- Creating the foolproof action plan. Takes the participant through the seven steps of planning a resume. Writers are to ask their clients these five key areas to plan the strategy on paper.
- MS Word Tips. Provides brief direction on layouts—from tabs, to shortcuts, font, and style.
- Analyzing the components. Furnishes the action plan to create the resume fundamentals for your client.
- Finishing and Polishing with Power Words. Discusses the folly of using repetitive words and phrases, and how to rewrite phrases for maximum power without excess.
- Tricky Situations. Discusses what to do when a client presents a challenging background or desire to secure a job in a different field. How to effectively use the CAR principle when clients have been unable to demonstrate any achievements at all.
- Creative Jobs Versus Creative Resumes. Evaluates when graphics should and shouldn’t be used on a resume, and for what type of individuals.
- Including or Excluding. Covers content that should be included in the resume.
- Tricks with Numbers. Shows how to make an impact by the way you write numbers.
- Dealing with absences. Offers strategies for addressing employment gaps.
Putting it all together
Participants are provided with a series of notes as if having talked with a client in person or on the telephone. From these notes, the class participant is required to develop a resume using the information from this course. The final assignment requires a small brief to justify the writer’s reasoning for the content and style used. Once complete, the document will be assessed for a “Gold Pass” and CARW certification.
Each e-course module will be completed by the participant responding to a quiz, or submitting a sample of their work for assessment. Where extra reading is required the document or article will be available from the site for download. In most cases each module will provide the information necessary to be evaluated and move forward.
Course materials will comprise of information provided in each virtual lesson, PowerPoint presentations, images, and PDF files that will be freely available from the links provided. There will be no further purchase of books required.
Human and Technical Resources
Gayle Howard will be the contact point for submitting samples of writing requested in each module, and will be able to resolve questions pertaining to the use of the site and course content. Sign up today to start on your journey to certification and more satisfied clients.
- Member Registration – One Payment of $1,375
- Member Registration – Three Payments of $489
- Non-Member Registration – One Payment of $1,642*
- Non-Member Registration – Three Payments N/A*
*If you are not currently a CDI member, please select the Non-Member rate above as it includes mandatory membership. For non-members who desire a 3-pay option, membership should also be added to the cart and then the member 3-payment option can be selected. To become a CDI member or to learn more about membership visit the Join page.